• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spreadeck

spreadeck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

I've been spending some time on this recently, and have made some reasonable money doing it.

However, just when I've started to get better at it, making bigger profits more often, the inevitable has started to happen.

No accounts closed as yet, but two big one's are now limiting me to silly stakes which mean it's not worth bothering.

Has anyone tried this over a longer period - is it just a matter of time before I can hardly bet with anyone for a decent stake?

It seems they are just frightened off by big stakes, not necessarily wins. One of those I've been squeezed on, I'm actually about £350 down on that account since I started placing larger bets, but now I'm being limited to around £5 generally.

Any handy household hints appreciated.

#2 Steve.C

Steve.C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

Hi Alex

Until about 18 months ago this was my bread and butter way of earning a living.....50 closed/restricted accounts later.....the record was bet365, opened a new account 10am Saturday made 4 x £50 losing bets(but winning arbs), came back from a bbq to read an email timed at 12 midnight that my on-line account was closed!!!!! The only books that will take proper bets now in my opinion are the overseas ones such as Pinnaclesports, but they keep such a close eye on betfair it's hard to catch them out. You can get relatives and friends to open accounts but you have to mask your ip or they will track you. Totesport were good for 6 accounts but now I'm on a fiver max, and my Wife's was closed but we could never get them to admit why!

Have fun while it lasts....

regards
Steve C

#3 spreadeck

spreadeck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

Hi Steve,

Thanks, but I was hoping that might not be the reply!

Bet365 were the first one to go for me, restricted at least - they're the one's that have won about £350 from me, that's what surprises me most. How do they know I'm arbing? Isn't it normal practice for someone to go looking for best price?

Is there a tactic that might delay the inevitable, such as leaving some accounts for a while, or maybe only placing small bets?

I've got a few computers I could potentially use, but not enough relatives!

Alex

#4 Mark_Layton

Mark_Layton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hi Steve,

Thanks, but I was hoping that might not be the reply!

Bet365 were the first one to go for me, restricted at least - they're the one's that have won about £350 from me, that's what surprises me most. How do they know I'm arbing? Isn't it normal practice for someone to go looking for best price?

Is there a tactic that might delay the inevitable, such as leaving some accounts for a while, or maybe only placing small bets?

I've got a few computers I could potentially use, but not enough relatives!

Alex

Hi guys, if it helps at all: When I was a trader in Gibraltar, I used one of the "juniors" to check for all arbs. We knew EVERY arb available and restricted the clients to £25 - it's common practice in Horse Racing at least! Also, clients that are arbing have that flagged up on their account.

#5 spreadeck

spreadeck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hi guys, if it helps at all: When I was a trader in Gibraltar, I used one of the "juniors" to check for all arbs. We knew EVERY arb available and restricted the clients to £25 - it's common practice in Horse Racing at least! Also, clients that are arbing have that flagged up on their account.

Mark, £25 stakes probably wouldn't be too bad, but I've been restricted to £5 with some and silly numbers like £3.71 with others.

What I don't get is that arbs come and go in a flash these days with the exchanges, so to be aware of EVERY arb must be close to impossible. So, provided someone is staking reasonably consistently, why would bookies not simply accept that you are backing with them because they are offering best price? Most internet punters would use something like Oddschecker first, wouldn't they?

I know the bookies have systems in place, would be crazy if they didn't, but the accounts of mine that have been thwarted are the ones where I've been staking £200 here and £10 there, depending on what's available on the exchanges. The accounts where I have been conciously staking consistently at no more than £50, have so far been ok.

We shall see!

#6 Mark_Layton

Mark_Layton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:29 AM

Mark, £25 stakes probably wouldn't be too bad, but I've been restricted to £5 with some and silly numbers like £3.71 with others.

What I don't get is that arbs come and go in a flash these days with the exchanges, so to be aware of EVERY arb must be close to impossible. So, provided someone is staking reasonably consistently, why would bookies not simply accept that you are backing with them because they are offering best price? Most internet punters would use something like Oddschecker first, wouldn't they?

I know the bookies have systems in place, would be crazy if they didn't, but the accounts of mine that have been thwarted are the ones where I've been staking £200 here and £10 there, depending on what's available on the exchanges. The accounts where I have been conciously staking consistently at no more than £50, have so far been ok.

We shall see!

Again Alex we return to your account being flagged and marked as an "arber" - what happens, is that every time you place a bet, your intended bet will be restricted to a certain amount, if the particular arb you want has been bet by lots of similar punters, the amount available to you could easily be a fiver - they say £3.71 and similar to actually put you off placing the bet! Crazy I know, but it's the traders job to "balance the books". There is a way around it, and you didn't get this from me lol ... email me and I will explain what to do mate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users